Laney College Labor Studies Club
This is the place to make the rubber hit the road and apply all we’ve learned. Here you’ll find info on some of the workers’ campaigns we’ve supported. Be sure to join us on the line or taking action.
- “Let My People Work!” This link goes to Kennedy Helm’s beautiful documentary on the Woodfin workers’ struggle in Emeryville.
- In the spring of 2005, Taco Bell and the CIW announced an agreement to address the ever-deepening poverty and decades of degradation faced by farmworkers in Florida. At that time, Taco Bell called on its fast-food industry counterparts to join in demanding fair wages and humane treatment for the workers who pick their tomatoes. In April of this year, following a hard-fought campaign, the CIW and McDonald’s announced a similar agreement to Like Taco Bell, McDonald’s challenged the rest of the fast-food industry to step up to these higher standards.
Plan Now for Spring
We have begun planning our efforts for Sprin06 recruitment.
- We will soon set a date in early January for phonebanking past students to help enrollment for Labor Studies classes.
- Can you help hand out fliers at your next union or community meeting?
- Will you take some posters to post?
Call the Labor Studies office at 510/464-3210 to volunteer.