Welcome to Laney College Professional Development
Laney College’s Professional Development Committee seeks to support the College’s Educational Master Plan by supporting the intellectual and professional growth of faculty and staff.
CONFERENCE AND OTHER FUNDS
Conference funds provide opportunities for faculty and staff to attend seminars, workshops, and conferences. Funds are related to teaching and learning, job enhancement, and professional development. Details on how to apply are on the page “How to Apply for PD Funds”, linked at the left.
Examples of acceptable activities include:
- attendance at off-campus professional conferences, workshops, and seminars.
- department/discipline on-campus workshops and seminars–including honorarium payments for guest speakers.
- visiting other colleges or industry settings to review exemplary programs.
- tuition reimbursement for a course (s) related to discipline or work area.
- subscription to scholarly journal and/or academic association.
1st and 3rd Tuesdays of each month, 3-4pm, Tower #850. This is where/when we consider requests for approval. The meetings are open to everyone at Laney, but only committee members are obligated to attend.
Please use these funds!
Our committee has recently significantly shortened the timeline for reimbursement requests. This means that if you are willing to pay for a conference and/or travel and/or class, and are requesting reimbursement, you only need to submit your request in time for our committee to consider it for approval before the date your event begins.
Unless you are requesting an advance or third-party payment, the previously published lead-times of one, two, and three months for in-state, out-of-state, and international travel will no longer apply.
To be clear, this shortening of the timeline is now in place for faculty and staff who are willing to pay their own costs up-front, and be reimbursed later.
Lead-Time for out-of-state travel, third-party payment or travel advances:
For faculty and staff who want to travel out-of-state, or apply for funding in advance, or for the College to pay for a conference registration in advance, the Laney PD committee needs to receive the completed request early enough to consider it for approval at one of our regular meetings, and send it to the District for Board of Trustees approval at one of their regular meetings. That required lead-time depends on the schedule of the bi-weekly meetings of these bodies, but our committee usually needs to see your request at one of our meetings at least one month prior to any events involving travel.
Remaining Meeting Dates: Tuesdays, Nov. 21 & Dec. 5. –If you are planning on any PD activities during the holiday break, PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR REQUEST BEFORE OUR NOV. 21st MEETING — especially if your activity involves out-of-state travel!
For more information and assistance with completing travel forms contact Pak Ho in the Business Office, email@example.com, (510)464-3229.
Classified staff may apply for up to $600 for the academic year ending June 30th, 2018.
A maximum of $1000 per faculty member is available for the academic year ending June 30th, 2018.
- The disparity in funding limits is due to a substantial difference in the allotment for classified staff vs. faculty, and the sources of the funds. Still, all classified staff are especially encouraged to make use of these funds for professional development. The committee looks forward to the establishment of greater parity between the funds for faculty and classified staff.