Welcome to Laney College Professional Development
Laney College Professional Development Committee seeks to support the College’s Educational Master Plan by supporting the intellectual and professional growth of faculty and staff.
CONFERENCE AND OTHER FUNDS
Conference funds provide opportunities for faculty and staff to attend seminars, workshops, and conferences. Funds are related to teaching and learning, job enhancement, and professional development. Examples of acceptable activities include:
- attendance at off-campus professional conferences, workshops, and seminars.
- department/discipline on-campus workshops and seminars.
- visiting other colleges or industry settings to review exemplary programs.
- tuition reimbursement for a course (s) related to discipline or work area.
- subscription to scholarly journal and/or academic association.
1st and 3rd Wednesdays of each month, 4-5 pm, Tower #450. This is where/when we consider requests for approval.
Please use these funds!
Our committee has recently significantly shortened the timeline for reimbursement requests. This means that if you are willing to pay for a conference and/or travel and/or class, and are requesting reimbursement, you only need to submit your request in time for our committee to consider it for approval before the date your event begins.
Unless you are requesting an advance or third-party payment, the previously published lead-times of one, two, and three months for in-state, out-of-state, and international travel will no longer apply.
To be clear, this shortening of the timeline is now in place for faculty and staff who are willing to pay their own costs up-front, and be reimbursed later.
For faculty and staff who want to apply for funding in advance, or for the College to pay for a conference registration in advance, the Laney PD committee needs to receive the completed request early enough to consider it for approval at one of our regular meetings, and send it to the District for Board of Trustees approval at one of their regular meetings. That required lead-time depends on when the next bi-weekly meeting of these bodies is scheduled, but *six weeks from our meeting dates* should be enough for most circumstances.
For more information and assistance with completing travel forms contact Eric Smith in the Business Office email@example.com.
Classified Staff may apply for up to $600 for the academic year ending July 30th, 2016.
A maximum of $1000 per faculty member is available for the academic year ending July 30th, 2016.
- The disparity in funding limits is due to a substantial difference in the allotment for classified staff vs. faculty. Funds for classified staff have just recently been restored, and all classified staff are especially encouraged to make use of these funds for professional development. The committee looks forward to the establishment of greater parity between the funds for faculty and classified staff.