Welcome to Laney College Professional Development
Fall 2018 Professional Development (“Flex”) Days:
Thursday, August 16 — District-wide PD Day
Friday, August 17th — Laney College PD Day
Laney College’s Professional Development Committee seeks to support the College’s Educational Master Plan by supporting the intellectual and professional growth of faculty and staff.
The Professional Development Committee’s responsibilities are summarized in the PFT Contract language describing the responsibilities of the chair: The PD Committee “shall plan, develop, initiate, [and] co-ordinate [sic] the College’s collaborative/special projects and college-wide activities and be generally responsible for the overall improvement of skills, knowledge, and morale of all segments of the College community.” (Article 25.D.2.g)
These responsibilities include the following:
- The committee shall oversee the sabbatical leave process.
- The committee shall oversee the retraining leave process.
- The committee shall plan, develop, coordinate, review, and evaluate all of the Professional Development activities that take place at the college, including Flex (Professional Day) Activities.
- The committee shall Issue twice yearly report to the College Community and the District Officer of Staff Development on expenditures, funding priorities, procedures, deadlines, activities, schedule of meetings, attainment of goals, needs assessment, etc.
- The committee shall establish priorities and procedures, and make advisory recommendations for faculty in each of the following areas:
o Use of professional development funds for faculty
o Collaborative/Special projects
o Institutional subscriptions and memberships
o Individual travel and conferences
o Tuition reimbursement
CONFERENCE AND OTHER FUNDS
Conference funds provide opportunities for faculty and staff to attend seminars, workshops, and conferences. Funds are related to teaching and learning, job enhancement, and professional development. Details on how to apply are on the page “How to Apply for PD Funds”, linked at the left.
Examples of acceptable activities include:
- attendance at off-campus professional conferences, workshops, and seminars.
- department/discipline on-campus workshops and seminars–including honorarium payments for guest speakers.
- visiting other colleges or industry settings to review exemplary programs.
- tuition reimbursement for a course (s) related to discipline or work area.
- subscription to scholarly journal and/or academic association.
1st and 3rd Tuesdays of each month, 3-4pm, Tower #850. This is where/when we consider requests for approval. The meetings are open to everyone at Laney, but only committee members are obligated to attend.
Meeting Dates for Spring ’18:
Tuesdays, Feb. 20, March 6, March 20, April 10, April 17, May 1, & May 15.
Please use these funds! –And PLEASE APPLY WELL IN ADVANCE!
Faculty and Classified Staff members seeking funds will need to submit requests well in advance of any class, conference or other activity —
How far in advance? –Prior to one of our regular meetings scheduled at least two weeks before the date your event begins.
If you are requesting an advance or third-party payment, lead-times of one, two, and three months for in-state, out-of-state, and international travel will apply.
Lead-Time for out-of-state travel, third-party payment or travel advances:
For faculty and staff who want to travel out-of-state, or apply for funding in advance, or for the College to pay for a conference registration in advance, the Laney PD committee needs to receive the completed request early enough to consider it for approval at one of our regular meetings, and send it to the District for Board of Trustees approval at one of their regular meetings. That required lead-time depends on the schedule of the bi-weekly meetings of these bodies, but our committee usually needs to see your request at one of our meetings at least six weeks prior to any events involving out-of-state travel.
–If you are planning on any PD activities during the summer, PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR REQUEST IN OUR MARCH 20th MEETING — especially if your activity involves out-of-state travel!
For more information and assistance with completing travel forms contact Pak Ho in the Business Office, firstname.lastname@example.org, (510)464-3378, T-207.
Classified staff may apply for up to $600 for the academic year ending June 30th, 2018.
A maximum of $1000 per faculty member is available for the academic year ending June 30th, 2018.
- The disparity in funding limits is due to a substantial difference in the allotment for classified staff vs. faculty, and the sources of the funds. Still, all classified staff are especially encouraged to make use of these funds for professional development. The committee looks forward to the establishment of greater parity between the funds for faculty and classified staff.