Menu
Laney College

Events 2

Events 2

4/16/2018
On Monday, the staff at APASS invited representatives from two California State Universities to Laney College to present important information to Laney students at APASS’ Orientation Event.
Cal State East Bay’s, Nancy Martinsen, and Levalasi Loi-On, from San Francisco State University, were on hand presenting to an audience of 50 Laney students and gave them first-hand information on what it’s like to transfer to a 4-year University.
Laney College counselors, Mark Yamamoto and Cynthia Taing filled out the panel of moderators.
Topics included: Learning about selecting a major, choosing courses, applying for financial aid, and upcoming free tours for Laney ESOL students to CSU East Bay, San Francisco State, Sacramento State, UC Berkeley, and UC Davis.
Afterward, we enjoyed each other’s company during lunch which was catered by Alameda’s Mint Leaf.

4/10/2018

ASIAN PACIFIC AMERICAN HERITAGE MONTH 2018

Herstory: The Legal History of Chinese American Women

Presents Chinese-American women’s history through legal cases fought in supreme courts throughout the United States for equal treatment in the eyes of the law and for citizenship and immigration rights since 1852.

Dr. Chiu Chang (邱彰博士) personal collection, “Herstory” features rare photographs and case descriptions of efforts by Chinese-American women to gain legal standing in the U.S.

On Friday, Peralta College’s Asian American Committee gathered at the East Ocean Seafood Restaurant in Alameda for a festive luncheon to celebrate the Year of the Dog.  Hosted by Laney College’s Dean of Liberal Arts Cheun Chan, the large turnout, which included many of Laney College’s leaders, was regaled by various home-grown musical groups that reminded everyone of the vibrancy of our local Asian American community.

Photos by clicking here.

3/1/2018

Q&A with David Lee. Laney’s New AANAPISI Program Director

David Lee still remembers when he first visited Laney College 10 years ago.

”I spent a day walking around campus and meeting students.! was struck by the infectious energy and school pride on display everywhere I turned.” Lee said.

That positive! impression he had of Laney motivated him last year to apply for the position of Director of Asian American and Native! American Pacific Islander-Serving Institutions (AANAPisnprogram and Asian Pacific American Student Success (APASS) program.

Q. Tell us a little bit about yourself.

A. As a San Francisco native, I grew up in Chinatown and attended public schools and graduated from San Francisco State University with a doctorate in educational leadership. I ran a Chinatown non-profit organization for many years that helped Asian Americans register to vote and participate in civic life.  I also taught in the Political Science department at San Francisco State.

I enjoy volunteering for non-profit and civic organizations and have served in various leadership roles including as a KQED Board Director, Commissioner of the San Francisco Recreation and Parks Department and Chai1man of the U.S. Census Bureau CIC Steering
Committee.

Q.Who do you admire and why?

A. Over the years, I have had the pleasure of working with many famous politicians. However, my hero isn’t famous or powerful; bis name is John Lau and he was both my children’s squash coach.

John didn’t pick up squash until 1971 when he began as a student at UC Berkeley. He soon became an ardent student of the game; so much so that in 1991, John became the nation’s #1 ranked Veteran’s Champion singles player in the United States: the first player with Chinese distinction and one of the very few minorities in the sport of squash to earn a US ranking – a noted accomplishment given its history. Squash, for the most part, was very much of a game reserved for Ivy-league elites who later belonged to private clubs.

John. a Chinese-American kid with a humble upbringing – a product of San Francisco public schools – was never afforded the privileges and advantages that were customary for a squash player to develop the amount of caliber and rank that he attained.

In spite of the hurdles, John never gave up on the game he loved. He wanted to prove! to himself that a Chinese American could climb to the top of squash world by his skill, hard work, and sheer will-power. He became a squash coach and taught generations of children the game that he
loved. He is now retired from 30 plus years of squash coaching and is working at APASS helping Laney students succeed.

Q.What do you hope to accomplish in your tint year at Laney?

A. I knew of the AANAPISI program because several of my doctoral program classmates are directors at different colleges and universities
around the Bay Area and Laney’s program is well-known.

My goal is for the first year is to re-open the AANAPISIIAPASS office and to make it a resource for Laney students.I want to introduce our new program to the community and to let everyone know we are here to serve and support students.

Fun Questions!

Q.What’s your favorite food?

A. My son, Jack, calls me a sushi monster because I just can’t resist the call of fresh sashimi.  My favorites are Uni, Hamachi, and Ama Ebi.

Q.What’s your favorite movie?

A. I am huge James Olmos fan and in my opinion, his best movie is”Stand and Deliver.”

%d bloggers like this: