Dear Laney Student,
As part of the team at Laney College, I am excited to welcome you back to our campus beginning Monday, August 23rd.
This message is especially for students coming to campus. You received an email from the Chancellor of the Peralta District yesterday about our new process, and this message has further information about coming to Laney. For now, please note that students do not need to show proof of vaccination, but as it will be required soon, you are strongly encouraged to get vaccinated as soon as you can.
On August 5, 2021 the Peralta Chancellor Jannett Jackson announced a vaccination policy for all employees and students of the college. To read the policy and other information see: https://safe.peralta.edu/.
The Start of the Semester
Students who have a class on campus or need services -Bookstore, Cashier’s Office, Cafeteria, Library (all open from 10-4 every day), or the Fab Lab (Open 9-7 M-TH) – must use the check-in process every day, which is as follows:
1) Download the Campus Shield App on your phone or mobile device (Found on Google Play or Apple App Store). Instructions on how to download the App and to register are found at the Safe Peralta site and are attached to this email or you can scan the QR code below.
If you do not have the ability to download the App, come to one of the three checkpoints and they will print you a daily pass to use. If you need help getting the App set up, there will be people to help you at the checkpoints.
2) Check in using the App. (You can do this before setting foot on campus.). Each time you want to come to campus,
(a) Open the app
(b) Answer the health questions (found at the end of this message)
(c) If you a get a green check mark screen, you may come to campus.
If you have a red screen, contact Dr. Mia Kelly, Director of Health Services, who works with the Peralta District and can assist you. She may be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or (510) 466-7324.
Students in need of health care may visit the Oakland Roots Community Health Center, located at 9925 International Boulevard, Oakland, 94603 (Phone: 510-777-1177).
If you feel that you reached the red screen in error or have a yellow screen, call 510-902-6022 or email email@example.com .
3) Enter campus through one of the checkpoints between 7:30am and 8:30pm. Show your green screen to the staff member when entering. You may enter campus through:
· The Laney Tower Lobby
· The Athletics Pavilion Entrance
· General Parking Lot Entrance on 7th Street between F and G Buildings
For at least the first week of the Fall semester, please plan to arrive at campus at least 30 minutes before your class starts.
4) Please note the following:
· Masks are required at all times while on campus.
· For at least the beginning of the semester, there will be no drinking water available, other than through purchase in the cafeteria. You are urged to bring your own water to campus.
· Once you pass through the check point, your instructor may ask to see your green screen or conduct a temperature check as you enter the classroom.
· Passing through the checkpoints may take some time, based on how many other students are in line.
· During Fall Semester, the Bookstore, Cafeteria, Library, and Cashier’s Office are open Monday-Thursday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The Fab Lab is also open Monday through Thursday from 9 a.m. – 7 p.m.
· Student Services are still only available virtually. All resources are attached to this message, or for direct help, call the Welcome Center at (510) 464-3540.
· If you need COVID testing or vaccinations (by appointment), please contact the Oakland Roots Community Health Center, located at 9925 International Boulevard, Oakland, 94603 (Phone: 510-777-1177).
· For information on vaccinations, please contact the Oakland Roots Clinic. As vaccination days become available on campus, we will notify you.
We realize that coming to campus will be a new process, and we thank you for your patience and understanding. Please feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org with any concerns, or for immediate assistance, reach out to Marina Security Services Dispatch (510) 466-7236.
Have a great semester and thank you for choosing Laney College to reach your educational goals.
Rudolph J. Besikof
Dr. Rudy Besikof
Laney College President
What questions will you be asked on Campus Shield as part of the check in?
What is your role within the organization? Student – Laney
1. Is this an emergency?
Stop and call 911 if you are experiencing any of the following:
• Severe difficulty breathing
• Chest Pain
• Pressure or tightness in the chest
• Difficulty remaining conscious
• Bluish lips or face
2. Please answer the following questions about COVID-19 related
symptoms not due to allergies, COPD, or other chronic illnesses.
Are you experiencing any of these symptoms?
• Fever (100.4 °F or higher) or chills
• Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing (if you have severe shortness of
breath or severe
difficulty breathing, CALL 911)
• Muscle or body aches; OR illness-related fatigue
3. For Health Care Personnel: Have you had close contact (less than six
feet) with anyone with confirmed COVID-19 (in or outside of the facility) or
any person under investigation with lab results not expected back within 72
For all other users: In the past 14 days, have you had close contact (less
than 6 feet) with a COVID-19 positive/infected person or multiple people for
a combined total of 15 minutes or more, in the same 24-hour period? NOTE: Per CDC, face-covering or PPE use will not change recommendations.