Dance Goals & Objectives:
- First and foremost, love the body you have.
- Take care of it by eating right, drinking plenty of water, exercising and getting enough rest/sleep.
- Learning relaxation, to breathe normally while moving, and getting the body properly warmed up, before dancing.
- Avoid going into any vigorous movement without thoroughly warming up or stretching your body.
- Increase the realm of movement possibilities for each individual body, given its anatomical structure.
- Increase one’s flexibility, strength, and control throughout the body by learning various techniques, style and characteristics of dance forms.
Develop skills in exploring using the elements of dance: time, space and energy.
- Develop an ability to observe movement, maintain the observation and intelligently internalized it into your body.
- When choreographing; use choreographic devices, principles and processes to communicate perceptions, images, motifs, symbolisms and thoughts.
- To be encouraged to express and share personal creativity.
- Compose creative and expressive statements through the art of performance.
- Develop skills in spontaneous movement exploration and improvisation.
To develop skills to critically assess and evaluate works of dance and the performance of dancers based on learned aesthetic principles.
- To develop an understanding and an appreciation of the historical & culture influences and contributions on and to dance.
To practice competencies in problem solving, communication skills and time management.
- To develop an understanding and an appreciation of the diverse cultures within the class.
- Develop an understanding and an appreciation of the various art forms of dance as well as to incorporate aesthetic arts into your everyday lives.
Class Expectations & Etiquette:
- Respect yourself, this class, your elders and your peers. Be a living example of the golden rule.
- Learn to follow directions. When asked to do something… just do it! Immediately& without whining!
- Do not walk on the dance floor with street shoes. Use perimeter if you absolutely must.
- For health and safety; no gum chewing is allowed while dancing.
- For class etiquette; no hats allowed on while dancing! (Males & Females) Costumes excepted with prior permission.
- Make sure your phone is turned off while in dance class and do not charge it without permission.
- No food or beverages allowed in the dance studio. Water bottles are allowed on the side .
- Once class begins, DO NOT leave without notifying the instructor.
- Do not use profanity. Use language appropriate for school, academic & learning environment.
- Do not sit on the tables, return chairs taken from against the wall back to the wall.
- Pass all assessments: written, verbal and movement.
- To attend all scheduled rehearsals, on time, properly dressed and prepared to work.
- To participate in any outside work (i.e. dance workshops, seminars, master classes).
- To read all resource materials and handouts.
- Exhibit critical listening and viewing skills at all times.
- To turn in, on time all written assignments and projects.
- Be positive, constructive, supportive, patient and honest at all times.
- Always carry and present yourself with integrity, pride and dignity.
- Avoid coming to class with a negative attitude.
- Never give up or get lazy…physically or mentally!