This supplementary page is for the HYBRID (on-line) Music History 8B class.
Thank you for taking Music History 8B. This is a hybrid on-line class. Everyone must participate by signing in to the class CANVAS shell at least once per week and completing all assignments and quizzes:
*Video study links for the May 22 Listening Final:
- La serva padrona, “Aspettare” (Pergolesi)
- Cleofide (Hasse)
- The Beggar’s Opera, Over the Hills and Far Away (John Gay)
- Orfeo ed Euridice (Act 2) (Gluck)
- Creation (William Billings)
- Sonata in D (Domenico Scarlatti)
- Sonata in A (C.P.E. Bach)
- Sinfonia in F (Sammartini)
- Symphony in Eb Major (Johann Stamitz)
- Harpsichord Concerto No. 2 (“John” J.C. Bach)
- L’amant anonyme (Joseph Boulogne)
- Symphonie la Chasse(François Gossec)
- “The Joke” Quartet Op. 33, No. 2 (Haydn)
- Symphony No. 92“The Oxford” (Haydn)
- The Creation (Haydn)
- Piano Sonata in F Major k.332 (Mozart)
- Symphony No. 40 (Mozart)
- The Magic Flute “Queen of the Night Aria” (Mozart)
- Clarinet Quintet, k.581 (Mozart)
- Requiem “Lacrimosa” (Mozart)
*Memorize the first minute of each. (Some of the videos are long- you don’t have to listen to more than the first minute). The names of the composers and pieces are printed on the matching test, so all you have to know is the music. Since much of it is unaccompanied singing, you will need to study carefully to tell them apart. Naturally, I will scramble the order.
*For those unable to attend the test on Wednesday, May 22, at 2PM in G-189; there will be an online alternative posted in CANVAS the week of May 12.
Please let me know how you are doing in the course and how I can help you keep up with the discussion and quiz assignments.
Thanks again for taking Music 8B!
Youtube Videos in Historical Categories (work in progress)
Western Music in Context (series of six books by W.W. Norton & Co.)
Source Readings in Music History. Oliver Strunk/Leo Treitler (1998)