Dream. Flourish. Succeed.
Laney College

Student FAQs

COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions

Student FAQs

In response to the COVID-19 shelter-in-place order, Laney College is dedicated to providing students with remote student and support services. A team of classified professionals, faculty and administrators assisted in creating the frequently asked questions below just for you. It will be updated as new information is gathered. Thank you for your patience during this time.


Will food giveaways still take place on campus?

We are pleased to be partnering with the Eat.Learn.Play. Foundation and the World Central Kitchen to provide individually packaged, fresh lunches on Monday and Wednesday from 12-2pm, to our Laney College student community. We have a drive-thru and walk-up option to keep the students and our volunteers safe. Students should bring an ID. Vegetarian options are available.

Will priority enrollment dates for summer/fall 2020 still occur?

Yes. Priority Enrollment registration dates start Monday, April 6, 2020. For more information on enrollment dates, click here.

When can I go back to campus?

At this time, the campus is expected to open June 30, 2020. We will continue to keep you updated.


Will the graduation ceremony still take place?

Our Spring 2020 Commencement Ceremony has been postponed. Click here to learn more.


Will I still be able to transfer to a UC or CSU?

University of California (UC) Update:

Please access the most recent UC Office of the President public statement which outlines system wide measures intended to support UC-bound students in relation to disruptions caused to winter, spring, and summer 2020 courses by the COVID-19 pandemic and related public health measures.



California State University (CSU) Update:

Please access the most recent CSU system information provided for school districts, schools, community colleges, colleges, educators, prospective students and applicants regarding CSU admission and provides a high-level overview of guidance.


How do I schedule an appointment to meet with a counselor?

Counselors are available to meet with students by phone or through an online meeting platform called Zoom. If you would like to meet with a counselor by phone, call 510-464-3152. To schedule an Online ZOOM Appointment using our online scheduling tool click here: https://laney.edu/counseling/schedule-counseling-appointment. Visit the counseling department website at https://laney.edu/counseling/ for directions and additional information.

How do I schedule an appointment to see a DSPS Counselor or access disability-related services?

Counselors are available to meet with students by phone or through an online meeting platform called Zoom. If you would like to meet with a counselor by phone, call 510-464-3328. To schedule an online appointment, visit the DSPS department website at laney.edu/dsps for directions and additional information.

How do I get my class accommodations if I’m a DSPS Student?

Email your instructor a copy of your accommodations. If you receive testing accommodations, note in your email the amount of authorized time you need for testing

How does COVID-19 affect my financial aid?

In light of class cancellations and move to remote instruction due to COVID-19, the Department of Education is providing flexibility for schools to help students complete the current term and to not negatively impact their financial aid requirements. For more information please visit https://laney.edu/financial_aid/ to contact your financial aid advisor.


Where do I find library services online?

To live chat with a Librarian, visit https://chat.mosio.com/par/chat/new_chat/LaneyLib

How do I access electronic textbooks?

In response to the COVID-19 virus, VitalSource Technologies is allowing Laney students and faculty free access to a vast array of etextbooks. Information on how to access these resources is available here: https://laney.libguides.com/etextbooks

The e-textbooks are FREE through May 24, 2020 to anyone with a .edu email address (@peralta.edu or @cc.peralta.edu). You may borrow up to 7 items. It takes less than 10 minutes to create an account.

Note: VitalSource is not affiliated with Laney College or the Laney Bookstore. All materials are licensed legally. This offer is for a limited time only in response to the COVID-19 virus.


Where do I go for virtual tutoring assistance?

To schedule a 30-minute tutoring appointment with a Laney peer tutor, visit https://calendly.com/laneyssc/techhelp or call/text this number: (510) 463-4412.

Students also have access to online tutoring through Net Tutor. To use the service, view this video to learn more (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq6J84Sv2ro).

What if I need help from the Writing Center?

The Laney College James Oliver Writing Center  (https://laney.edu/writingcenter/) remains available to provide support and assistance during this time when students cannot come to campus. Hours are Monday-Thursday 9am-8pm and Friday 9am-3pm. Staff are ready to serve you and can be reached at 510-464-3426 or 510-464-3163.

What if I need Math Lab assistance or math tutoring?

The Laney College Math Lab remains available to provide math support and assistance during this time when students cannot come to campus. You can sign-up for online math tutoring through the Math Lab (https://laney.edu/mathematics/math-lab/) Website or you can call the center at 510-464-3448.

Where do I find library services online?

What if I have other questions regarding student support services? Who do I contact?

If you have any additional questions regarding student support services, please email your inquiries to laneystudentservices@peralta.edu.


If I am not able to get in touch with my instructor, who can I contact?
You can contact the Office of Instruction by calling 510-986-6908 or send an email to Laneyinstruction@peralta.edu

Will food distributions take place during the campus closure? 

We have suspended food distribution and preparation services at this time. Food can be secured at the Alameda County Food Bank (https://www.accfb.org/). And further information can be found here: https://www.accfb.org/about-us/food-distribution/. Their Emergency Food Helpline number can help you get food the same day: 1-510-635-3663

Other Options Include:

How do I access wellness services that were available in the Wellness Clinics?

Due to the shelter-in-place order, The Roots Community Health Center, who operates our Laney on-site clinic, will continue to provide all essential clinical services provided by the Nurse Practitioner during this time. Please visit their website at www.rootsclinic.org for site location.

How do I access mental health counseling?

The Roots Community Health Center will provide mental health counseling at this time while our campus mental health counselors develop a system to serve students remotely. Visit www.rootsclinic.org for site information. Access to mental health counseling will be updated as soon as possible.

How do I contact the Cashier’s Office?

The Cashier’s Office can be contacted from 8am-4pm Monday/Thursday/Friday, and 8am-6pm Tuesday and Wednesday at 510-464-3131 or 510-464-3129. 

How do I pay fees?

Fees can still be paid online through the passport system: Peralta Passport (https://pa.peralta.edu/psp/PA/EMPLOYEE/EMPL/h/?tab=PAPP_GUEST

How do I apply for refunds/fee waivers?

Please go to the Cashier’s Office website to secure the correct forms: Bursar Services (https://laney.edu/business_office/bursar/) 

I am a student-worker, will I be paid? How do I complete my timesheet now that the College is closed?

Instructions for completing timesheets have been sent to supervisors, or your supervisor can contact the business office for support. Work should be coordinated and completed at the direction of your supervisor. 

I need to pick up my paycheck. Where can I pick it up?

All paychecks for March were mailed. Please check with your supervisor regarding upcoming paycheck distribution.

What options do I have about my classes?

Pass/No Pass Grading Option:

Pass Option is defined as having passed a course with the equivalent of “C” work or better. Units are completed and recorded but no grade points are recorded. No Pass Option is defined as you having earned less than a “C” grade in the course. No grade points are recorded, no units are achieved, and the grade does not affect your grade point average. Please contact your instructor(s) to see if this is an option for your course. Note that choosing this option may have an impact on transferring to a four-year college. Contact a counselor to assist you with making this decision.

Excused Withdrawal:

Excused Withdrawal (EW) is allowed when a student is permitted to withdraw from courses due to specific events beyond the control of the student. This can include illness and other life events that can be documented. Please note, excused withdrawals:

  • Are not counted in progress probation and dismissal calculations
  • Are not counted toward the permitted number of withdrawals or counted as an enrollment attempt
  • Do not result as “F” grades on student transcripts. Instead an “EW”
  • Will not be on the student’s permanent record and transcript.

Please click here for a copy of the Excused Withdrawal Form https://web.peralta.edu/admissions/files/2020/01/Request-for-Excused-Withdrawal-2019-2.pdf). Submit the form to admissions@peralta.edu.

Incomplete Grade:

Incomplete Grades (I) may be provided to students when work has not been completed by the end of the term. It is a contract between the faculty and student agreeing on the terms in which the course work will be completed. Please click here for a copy of the  Incomplete Grade Contract (https://web.peralta.edu/admissions/files/2018/01/Petition-for-Incomplete-Grade-Created-01.08.18-Final.pdf). Incomplete grades allow students up to one year to complete the work. Remember, not all faculty can or will agree to issue an incomplete.

How can I learn about how my instructor is going to provide my class?  

You should receive an email from each of your instructors sharing what you need to do when classes resume on April 6th. They will provide you with the platform they will use for your lectures, labs, discussions, tests, and homework submissions.  Make sure you check your Peralta email daily. To forward your Peralta email to your Gmail or yahoo click here for email forwarding instructions (https://laney.edu/info/email/).

My instructor told me they are going to use Canvas or Zoom for my classes. How do I learn more?

We’ve created a number of resources to introduce you to online learning and tools like Canvas and Zoom.  Please go to the Canvas web page to learn more information at https://laney.edu/distance_education/. We will also be offering online workshops over the next two weeks. Please look out for more information.

I don’t have access to a computer or reliable internet. Are there any resources available? 

How do I contact the Laney College Bookstore?

The Laney Bookstore Manager is D’Mario Webb and he can be reached at 0225mgr@follett.com and by phone at 510-464-3349. Email and phone voice messages will be checked daily.

How can I purchase materials?

You can shop online at LaneyShop.com.

Will college events and athletic games be canceled?

Yes. Based on the shelter-in-place order, all campus events have been cancelled or postponed (https://laney.edu/events/). This includes all athletic events, performing arts shows, celebratory events, and any other non-essential gatherings until further notice.

How do I sign up for text message alerts? 

You can complete the online form here https://laney.edu/laneypio/texts/ to sign up for alerts via text message.

Where can I find the latest information regarding COVID-19 and its impact to Laney College students? 

  • Laney College is working closely with the Peralta Community College School District to provide updates on COVID-19 here https://laney.edu/blog/updates-on-covid-19/. This information can be found on the home page of Laney.edu.
  • Please remember to check your Peralta email. All updates will be sent directly the your student email address.