Help is available for answering your questions about being an online student:
- Tech Tutoring (this page)
- Email the Peralta help desk: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Laney Canvas hotline: (844) 600-4955
- Chat with Canvas support: Chat with Canvas Support (Student)
- Chat or zoom with Laney libarian: https://laney.edu/library/
- Drop-in zoom meeting with Welcome Center Ambassador: https://laney.edu/welcome_center/
- High Tech Center (DSPS): email@example.com
- Volunteer Laney ESOL tutors: https://laney.edu/apass/multilingual-esl-squad/
Check here for answers to your questions:
- Laney Virtual College page: https://laney.edu/online-student-services/
- “question mark” sidebar on every canvas page
- Welcome Center youtube channel
- International Student Office Getting Started Playlist
- Laney Counseling videos
- Multilingual ESOL Squad Youtube channel
- Online Canvas Student Guide
We are also providing online support for students in the platforms and technologies they use in their online classes. Here’s the flyer:
Do you feel ready to take classes online?
Could you use some help in learning how to take classes online?
…feeling more confident with Canvas ?
… learning Zoom ?
…getting comfortable with Google Docs ?
…resetting your passwords ?
Make an appointment for a 30 minute appointment with a Laney peer tutor:
Call or text this number: (510) 463-4412
More information and forms available at: https://laney.edu/studentservices/student-tech-support-workshops/
The tutor’s duties are described here:
- Help students with the technical side of their online, hybrid, Canvas, or otherwise computer-based coursework. Try to stick to helping students to learn the online tools like Canvas or google apps, rather than helping students with the actual content of the course.
- If other questions arise, including how to use computers or other technical, IT-type help, feel free to help the student or point the student to other resources they can use to get help, such as the Peralta IT help desk. Don’t feel like you have to be able to answer every question. Your area of expertise is how to succeed in an online class.
- Participate in community of practice by making a list of all the questions students ask you and contributing to repository of resources and best practices for future tutors.