I am happy to write letters of recommendation for those students who have worked hard and done well in my classes. It is important that you follow certain guidelines so that I will have time to write a letter that will enhance your application. All of the following should be provided to me in writing, hard copies greatly preferred.
1. Your full name, which class(es) you took, and when you took the class. Also include the grade you earned, which I will verify with my records.
2. A draft of the personal statement you intend to turn in with your applications. I am particularly interested in what led you to decide on your chosen field and any other relevant, personal information that may help me write a more personalized letter. Include a contact phone number/e-mail in case I have questions.
3. Your options for getting the completed letter are to come pick it up from me during my office hours, pick it up before or after class, have me mail it to you, or mail it directly to the school. You should provide all envelopes, addressed and stamped if appropriate.
4. Which degree you are seeking, and the name of the specific program at each school you are applying to. If you request more than one letter, I may elect to write one general letter that would work for all the schools.
5. If there are forms for me to fill out in addition to a letter, provide those and make sure it is clear which schools they go with if you are applying to more than one. Make sure you fill out the sections that you need to before you give these to me. Forms will often ask for the following information, which you should write in yourself:
- print my name
- my title: Biology Faculty
- phone #: (510)464-3472
- e-mail: email@example.com
- school/address: Laney College, 900 Fallon St., Oakland CA 94607
6. The date you would like me to give the completed letters to you. Make sure you are aware of the deadlines for all your schools and request letters soon enough to get your application sent for the earliest deadline.
7. You must allow a minimum of two weeks for me to write letters, counted from the time you give me all the appropriate materials. If it is a particularly busy time for me, I may need more than two weeks.
8. Please do not ask me to write letters over breaks or during finals week.
9. I do not allow students to read the letter before I send it or allow students to write their own letters.