General Biology 10 & Introduction to Biology 11
Biol 10 is great place to start if you are familiar with science or had strong science classes in high school. If not, you may want to focus on your math and English skills before taking this class, then come in when your ready. This class can be overwhelming if you are not prepared, so feel free to talk to us about it first.
Bio 10: Fundamentals of biology for the non-majors: Scientific inquiry, biological chemistry, cell structure and function, DNA genetics, evolution and ecology, and an overview of living organisms. Includes laboratory exercises designed to complement lectures.
Bio 11: Fundamentals of biology for the non-majors: Scientific inquiry, biological chemistry, cell structure and function, DNA genetics, evolution and ecology, and an overview of living organisms.
Here are the lecture notes for class by testing section. There are study questions at the end of each topic. You can also purchase the notes at the bookstore to bring to class.
Here is the lab manual we will be using this semester. It is also available at the bookstore. The cost just covers printing for both the lab manual and the lecture notes.
To encourage you to utilize the study guide to its fullest, you can earn points by answering all the questions on the study guide. To earn full credit, you must write out the question then write out a complete answer. This may be a word, a sentence, or a long complex answer so be thorough. Try using a separate piece of paper for each section. You can get credit for completing one of the three, but we’re hoping that once you see how much it improves your scores you do this for all the tests. Due the day of the lecture exam.
Canvas and Mastering Biology
We all use Canvas as a means of providing support material along with Mastering Biology (included for free) which includes an etext and multimedia content. If you are enrolled in the course, we will be sending you a code for Mastering access.
Student Learning Outcomes
BIOL 10 and 11
- Differentiate between a hypothesis and a theory
- Discuss the principles of biology as the study of living things including biological hierarchies, classification of living things, chemical processes of the cell and organisms. Multiple choice questions given online (quizzes) and on exams.
- Read and discuss articles related to current issues in biology. Form opinions on these issues and express and defend those opinions biologically in discussions and written essays.
BIOL 10 specific
- Improve confidence in scientific knowledge and ability to apply knowledge to related situations.
- Cooperate with others working as a group, delegate work to others, collaborate with group.
- Use equipment correctly and care for them properly.
Cool Science Stuff:
Scale of the Universe Website: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/589217
Powers of Ten Website: http://powersof10.com/
Cool video about plants and water: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BickMFHAZR0
Cool video on DNA: http://vimeo.com/60747882
here’s a cool article about the brain: http://home.physics.ucla.edu/~arisaka/home/Introduction/Consciousness/
Lake Clean Up – every Saturday at the Sailboat House