General Biology 10 & Introduction to Biology 11
Biol 10 is a great place to start if you are familiar with science or had strong science classes in high school. If not, you may want to focus on your math and English skills before taking this class, then come in when you’re ready. This class can be overwhelming if you are not prepared, so feel free to talk to us about it first.
If our names are underlined, you can click on our names to find out more about us.
Bio 10: Fundamentals of biology for the non-majors: Scientific inquiry, biological chemistry, cell structure and function, DNA genetics, evolution and ecology, and an overview of living organisms. Includes laboratory exercises designed to complement lectures.
Bio 11: Fundamentals of biology for the non-majors: Scientific inquiry, biological chemistry, cell structure and function, DNA genetics, evolution and ecology, and an overview of living organisms.
Syllabus & Calendar for BIOL 10
Here are the lecture notes for class by testing section. There are study questions at the end of each topic. We provide both once you are registered in the class. Please be aware of dates and times we will be on campus for you to pick things up.
Here is the lab manual we will be using this semester. Similarly, we have paper versions if you would like, watch for email announcements for dates and times to pick them up.
Student Learning Outcomes
BIOL 10 and 11
- Differentiate between a hypothesis and a theory
- Discuss the principles of biology as the study of living things including biological hierarchies, classification of living things, chemical processes of the cell and organisms. Multiple choice questions given online (quizzes) and on exams.
- Read and discuss articles related to current issues in biology. Form opinions on these issues and express and defend those opinions biologically in discussions and written essays.
BIOL 10 specific
- Improve confidence in scientific knowledge and ability to apply knowledge to related situations.
- Cooperate with others working as a group, delegate work to others, collaborate with group.
- Use equipment correctly and care for them properly.
Cool Science Stuff:
Scale of the Universe Website: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/589217
Powers of Ten Website: http://powersof10.com/
Cool video about plants and water: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BickMFHAZR0
Cool video on DNA: http://vimeo.com/60747882
here’s a cool article about the brain: http://home.physics.ucla.edu/~arisaka/home/Introduction/Consciousness/
Lake Clean Up – every Saturday at the Sailboat House