Want some support for online learning?
YOU GOT THIS!
Thinking of majoring in English?
Looking for Writing Support?
Check out these resources, and meet with a tutor in the Writing Center!
* Get support for your writing at the James Oliver Community Writing Center (online)
* Here are some more helpful reading & writing resources:
English Department Mission
The Laney English Department’s mission is to develop, expand, and refine students’ abilities to think critically about themselves and the world, and to understand and manipulate the English language.
The English Department is the educational foundation for every student at Laney: the English Department teaches Laney College students to read, write, and think critically. Through literature, students gain an understanding of humanity; through expository texts situated in historical and cultural contexts, students gain an understanding of being part of a larger universe.
Faculty in our department strive to
1) develop students’ ability to use language to their benefit;
2) improve students’ skills in reading critically, writing thoughtfully and cogently, and applying these skills to research;
3) promote students’ fullest power of expression in cultural, academic, public and professional arenas;
4) prepare students to transfer to four-year institutions and/or strengthen skills applicable to their careers and interests.
Please click on the pages listed at the left of this screen (or near the top on most cell phones!) to get closer to the information you want.
Thank you for engaging!