The Cosmetology program prepares students in all phases of cosmetology. The program consists of 1600 hours training in theoretical foundations, manipulative skills, business knowledge, professional and ethical practices and prepares students to ta e the California State Board of Cosmetology examination for licensure.
Admission Requirements: Contact the Cosmetology Department at (510) 464-3285 for supplementary application information and forms. First-time students are required to attend an orientation meeting. A grade of ”C” or above is required in each prerequisite course to continue in the sequence of course offerings.
Transfer students may be accepted when space is available, providing they have not achieved more than 200 certified hours and apply within a one-year period of withdrawal from a previous school. Upon completion of the 1600-hour program, students are eligible for the Cosmetology certicate and are qualified to apply for licensing through California State Board of Cosmetology.
Options available for those interested in the Cosmetology program
- Earn a Certificate of Completion (students are then qualified to apply for licensing through the California State Board of Barbering and Cosmetology)
- Earn an Associate in Arts Degree (students need to complete necessary Cosmetology courses and an additional 19 units of General Education)
Laney College Cosmetology Department offers its program during the day or evening
- The daytime program consists of seven (7) classes over three (3) semesters totaling seventeen (17) units per semsester. Hours are from 8:00am to 3:30pm with an hour lunch from 12-1pm.
- The evening program consists of seven classes (7) over three (4) semesters totaling fifteen (15) units during each of the first three semsesters and five (5) units during the fourth semster. Hours are from 5:00pm to 10:00pm.
The Cosmetology Program consists of seven required courses – it is a program – and for that reason, courses cannot be taken individually.
For information about our program call 510-464-3285
- Interested students, listen to information on line 1
- For services, listen to line 2
- To leave a message, listen to line 3
For information on kit and textbook prices call 510-464-3515 or visit the Laney College Bookstore.
We look forward to meeting you!!