Laney SAS High Tech Center (HTC)
Phone: (510) 464-3427
Hours of Operation:
Monday – Thursday 8AM -4PM
Friday: 8AM – 12PM
Purpose of the High Tech Center:
- To provide access to adaptive computer systems for persons with learning challenges.
- To assist students in the transition to college-level academic and vocational classes.
HTC Software Resources:
The High Tech Center offers instruction in the use of adaptive software and equipment, including speech recognition, screen reading, image enlarging, Braille display, adaptive keyboards, and the following software applications:
- Smart Pens
- Dragon Naturally Speaking (dictation)
- Google Docs/Voice Typing
- JAWS (screen reading software)
- Kurzweil 3000 (scan and read software to assist persons with reading difficulties)
- ZoomText (screen enlargement program)
PLEASE REMEMBER TO FOLLOW THESE RULES IN THE SAS COMPUTER LABS (HTC)
- Students are limited to printing out 2 copies of their work, or 10 pages total per day
- No food, candy, gum, drinks, or loud noises.
- No bicycles or skateboards are allowed in the lab at any time
- Turn cell phones off while in the lab
- No changing of the computer desktop or any windows properties
- No installation of any software (unless directed by staff).
- The internet is available to help you with your coursework and not for casual web browsing.
- Always save your work to a USB drive or your email account
- Do not leave any trash or litter behind.
- Students are responsible for complying with all college regulations (as found in the catalog and student handbook)
Students who are eligible for specialized tutoring services at SAS can contact Kim Cael at (510) 464-3427, or email her at email@example.com for an appointment.
Tutoring for all SAS students in Math and English is available in the High Tech Center, Mondays thru Thursdays. Please check the hours before arriving.
Sidney Wong, Instructor, firstname.lastname@example.org
Kim Cael, Adaptive Technology Specialist, email@example.com