As of Spring 2019 Assessment Testing is no longer required before enrollment into English or math courses, if you have graduated from a regionally accredited United States high school within the past 10 years, completed prerequisite courses at another college or university and have applied to Laney College please see the following enrollment steps.
There are two ways that students can enroll into math and English courses. The first one is to have your transcript evaluated by the Assessment Department before seeing a counselor who will use the evaluation document, your transcripts and other placement tools to help you enroll into the correct courses so that you may achieve your educational goals.
The second way to enroll into math and English courses is by going directly to the Counseling Department with a copy of your transcripts. During your counseling appointment your counselor will evaluate your transcripts and use other placement tools to help you enroll into the correct courses so that you may achieve your educational goals.
Please visit the Counseling Department website for information on how to schedule an appointments or additional documents that may be needed for placement.
Following are some examples of Multiple Measure tools that may be used for placement:
Assessment for Placement AB 705 – Multiple Measures
• High School or College Transcripts
• Highest level of coursework completed in a subject area and corresponding course grade.
• Attitude Surveys /Self Placement (Math, English & ESOL)
• Vocational or Career Aptitude Interest Inventories
• Specialized Certificates or Licenses
• Education and Employment Histories
• Military Training and Experience
• Holistic Scoring Processes
Placement Day Reminders
- All students must bring an unofficial transcript from their last High School or college.
- Please bring the receipt of your completed on-line orientation
- No visitors or children are allowed in the Testing Area during the are a.
- No Food/drink are permitted in the Assessment Area
- All electronic devices (i.e. cell phones, tablets, laptop, etc.) must be off.
- Evaluation results must be picked up in Room A-101 with proper identification.
If you have any questions, please call the Assessment Center at