What is Distance Education (DE)?
Distance Education (DE) means ONLINE EDUCATION. Distance Education (DE) at Laney offers online courses equivalent to a classroom-based course. Distance Education courses provide flexibility in scheduling and are especially helpful to self-directed learners. It is recommended that students are comfortable with computers, particularly the internet, before taking an online or hybrid course. Distance education procedures, login, and resources are available at Peralta DE website
Laney offers online classes in three formats:
- Online classes in which students complete their coursework via the internet (though some online classes require that students travel to campus for a class orientation and/or exams).
- Hybrid classes in which some class hours each week are completed by students via the internet while others take place in a classroom setting.
- Web-enhanced classes are traditional courses but use of internet to enhance communication, out-of-class assignments, and learning resources.
Here is some basic information about whether not to take an online class and instruction on how to enroll!
- Should I take an Online Class?
- How to Enroll in Online Classes
- Online Classes for International Students
Are You Ready for Online Learning?
Take a Self-Assessment
Do you know what to expect? Do you have the technology or have access to technology to help you be successful? Are you ready for online learning?
Take a quick Self-Assessment Survey below to help you determine what technical and study skills are needed to succeed in an online class. Find out what skills or technical areas could be strengthened so that you can gain the most from your online learning experience.
You may want to print out your results and discuss them with a college counselor.
Online Learning Readiness Questionnaire – University of North Carolina