Veteran Resource Center (VRC)

The Veteran Resource Center (VRC) provides assistance for active-duty personnel, veterans and their eligible dependents in pursuit of education and in obtaining veterans’ benefits. We provide support and financial assistance to veterans and their dependents. These services are available to those veterans who are eligible for benefits through the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs. The VRC certifies and monitors progress throughout the semester, notifying the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs of any academic changes.

Veteran Resource Center (VRC) Services include:

The following steps are required BEFORE submitting a certification request and all documents/steps must be completed before we can certify your enrollment with the VA.

  1. Complete a Veterans Affairs Application for Education Benefits.
  2. Complete an application for admission to Laney College.
    1. Create an OpenCCC account
      2. Explore the tools in MyPath
      3. Complete CCCApply Application on MyPath. Takes about 30 minutes.
      4. Continue to explore MyPath
  3. After you complete the steps above, if you have attended courses at another college, please email the transcripts to Jean Carey at
  4. Meet with a General Counselor to develop your Student Educational Plan. Please call (510) 464-3326, let our staff know you are a Veteran (or dependent) and they will help you make the best appointment.
  5. Submit required documentation listed below to Jean Carey at
    1. DD214 (Member-4 Copy)
    2. Copy of your VA Letter Of Eligibility
    3. Complete the following VRC Intake Form
    4. Meet with VA counselor to develop Student Educational Plan or submit a copy of your Student Educational Plan if you already developed one.
    5. View the required VRC orientation video:

      Upon completion, please submit a copy of the VRC orientation completion certificate.

*Please note: Failure to submit the required documentation will result in delaying your certification process.*

Information Needed For Certification:

  1. A copy of your Student Educational Plan. If you do not have a Student Educational Plan, please make sure you meet with our assigned VA counselor to develop a plan. To schedule an online appointment, please click HERE.
  2. A copy of your class schedule


Please contact Certifying Official Jean Carey at

California Residency Questionnaire (This form is required if you are not a California resident and will be attending Laney College – resubmit the form plus a copy of your DD-214, online to the Admissions and Records Office) Completed forms should be emailed to Jean Carey at

Veteran Resource Center (VRC) Intake form

California Veteran Dependent College Fee Waiver Description

California Veteran Dependents Fee Waiver Form and Instructions (Our program does not handle the dependent fee waivers; this is only placed here for informational purposes as a courtesy; your local county VA office handles all dependent fee waivers)

Application for VA Education Benefits

VRC Emergency Book Voucher Application- Fall 2021

Food Stamps Application


What are the procedures for receiving my veteran benefits?
Contact your local Department of Veteran Affairs Office to determine your eligibility. They are located at 1301 Clay Street in Oakland. They can be reached by calling 1-800-827-1000.

Orientation: All orientations will be online via ZOOM. To view orientation dates, please check our events page HERE.

Counseling Department: All veterans are required to see our assigned VA counselor to develop a Student Educational Plan prior to or during the first semester of attendance. If you do no seek counseling services prior to your first semester, you can only enroll in General Education courses such as Mathematics, English, History, etc. for payment until your Student Educational Plan has been developed.

To make an online appointment with our assigned VA counselor, please click HERE.

Transcripts from other institutions must be on file before the end of the first semester of attendance. These transcripts will be submitted to the District Admissions & Records Office for evaluation of prior credit. All units applicable will be counted toward your declared major at Laney College.

When do I receive my first check after certification?
Payment by the Veterans Administration will approximately take 6 to 8 weeks for new students. 4-5 weeks for continuing students. The waiting period for concurrent enrollment veterans is 6-8 weeks for the secondary institutions certification.

All questions about your VA payment should be directed to the Veterans Administration at 1-800-827-1000. 

Does your college offer advanced pay?
Laney College does not offer advanced pay for VA benefits.

Can I also apply for financial aid?
Veteran dependents are eligible to apply for a California Fee Waiver through your local county VA office or the California College Promise Grant from the Financial Aid Office. Veterans cannot apply for the California Fee Waiver, but they can apply for the California College Promise Grant.

I also encourage Veterans & Dependents to contact our Financial Aid Representative Mohamed Sovula at to assist you with any financial aid questions.

To apply for the California College Promise Grant, please click HERE for the online application.

What should I do if I decide to withdraw from a class or change my enrollment?

If you are receiving GI Bill® education benefits and voluntarily withdraw from a class or change your enrollment, you MUST notify Jean Carey, VRC coordinator at immediately for assistance. I will be happy to assist you in making the best decision based on your situation.

What is a Student Educational Plan?
A Student Educational Plan is a listing of courses approved for your declared major, developed by appointment with a counselor. The courses listed on your Student Education Plan are approved for payment by the Veterans Administration.

What is concurrent enrollment?
Concurrent enrollment is when you decide to enroll at two colleges for one semester. You must choose one college as your primary college for veteran benefits. This college will process all your paperwork for certification of benefits indicating to the second institution the courses you will be taking there are applicable for payment.