What is Federal Work-Study? The Federal Work-study Program provides jobs for students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay educational expenses. The program encourages community service work and work related to your course of study.
- Complete Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Laney must be your home school
- You must have a GPA of 2.0 or higher
- You are in good academic standing and do not have to petition
- You must be enrolled in 6 or more units for Fall 2016
- Must be at least 18 years old
- You must have all required documentation to work
- Valid California ID or Driver’s License
- Social Security Card
All students must provide proof of minimum 6 units of enrollment in the Peralta system and a GPA of at least 2.0.
If the student has not worked on campus previously then the student must fill out the Student Employment Packet and online employment form available on HR website under Peralta Student Employment Pool.
- The completed packet along with copies of the student’s passport or CA ID or Driver’s License and Social Security card should be returned to the Student Employment Specialist’ Office currently located in A-201. If the student is a lawful permanent resident then a copy front and back of the PRC card (aka: Green Card) must also be attached. If the student is an alien authorized to work then a copy of the students I20 must be attached to the application.
- An exception to the rule: If the student has worked within the prior 12 months as a Peralta student worker then you will only have to complete a current W-4 form.
How much will I make? Your Federal Work-study wage will be at least the current federal minimum wage, but it may be higher, depending on the type of work you do and the skills required. Your total Federal Work-Study award depends on when you apply your level of need, and the funding level of your school.
How will I be paid? Time sheets are distributed on the 21st of each month and due back in this office on the last day of the month. You will receive a check on the 15th of the month unless the 15th falls on a weekend. You will then be paid on the Friday preceding the 15th. Late time sheets will be processed for payment at the end of the month. On the scheduled pay date go to the Cashier’s Window, Room A-201, 2nd level. Bring a picture ID
2017-2018 Work-study Application will be available on or after July 1, 2017
For more details on hiring and intake process, please visit the Laney College Financial Aid Department.
Learn about Federal Work Study by watching the Financial Aid TV video.