Laney College

Reinstatement from Probation or Dismissal

Reinstatement from Probation or Dismissal

Manufacturing Day at Laney College in the News | Peralta Colleges Peralta CollegesWhat is Academic and Progress Probation?

  • Academic and Progress Probation occur when students do not fulfill Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).
  • SAP is maintained by:
    • Completing at least 66% of the units that you started with at the beginning of the semester.
    • Maintain at least a 2.0 semester GPA.
    • Maintain at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA
  • Academic probation occurs when a student falls below a 2.0 in a semester and cumulatively.
  • Progress probation occurs when a student has a higher percentage of units with Ws than passing grades.
  • A hold on your account may be placed that can prevent class enrollment.
  • More information on probation and dismissal can be found here.

What is Academic and Progress Dismissal?

Academic and Progress Dismissal occur when a student has been in probation for several semesters without improvement.

A hold will be placed on the student’s account and the student would need to meet with a counselor in a 60-minute appointment in order to be reinstated to enroll into classes.

At the counseling meeting:

  • Students need to complete an application for Reinstatement from Dismissal form.
  • The student and counselor choose classes for enrollment in the current semester.
  • The counselor will generate a comprehensive Student Education Plan.

After the counseling meeting:

  • The Dean of Student Services will review the application for Reinstatement from Dismissal to sign the request.
  • The Dean will forward the Reinstatement from Dismissal to Laney Admissions and Records.
  • Laney Admissions and Records will enroll the student into the classes.
  • While in the reinstatement process, students might only be able to add classes upon approval from a Laney Counselor.
  • This process can take up to two (2) business days.

How Can I Get Reinstated from Probation and Back to Satisfactory Academic Progress?

Getting out of probation is really about practicing the time management and study skills needed to take the right amount of units you can manage in order to

  • Review the SAP requirements (above) and evaluate how you can improve your GPA and avoid getting more Ws by finishing the classes you start.
  • Start by retaking classes with Fs and Ds first. The improved grades will raise your GPA.
  • Seek tutoring and other academic support when needed.
  • Attend office hours with your instructor for support and to ask questions.
  • Determine whether you qualify for Academic Renewal Alleviation by reviewing the requirements here or speaking with a Laney Counselor.