Welcome to the Laney College Counseling Department
3rd Floor of the Tower Building
900 Fallon Street, Oakland, CA 94607
510-464-3152 or 3154
Fall 2017 Counseling Department Schedule
Counseling department schedule is subject to change,
please call 510-464-3152 or 3154 for the latest updated schedule.
**The Laney College student services division including the Counseling Department will not provide evening hours during the week of Thanksgiving (Tuesday 11/21 & Wednesday 11/22). Evening hours will resume the following week, November 27, 2017. **
Please see 2 options to see a counselor: Appointment or Drop in
(Before your online registration date, please check to see if your class has a prerequisite. Prerequisites must be cleared prior to enrollment. Plan ahead and take care of this as early as possible to avoid waiting in a long line and possible delays to your enrollment in important classes.
Please read the “Pre-requisite Clearance Process information” before submitting the form.
Laney College Student Success & Support Services Exemption Process
(ENROLLMENT HOLD ) – 2 types of Exemptions see below
By State regulation, all matriculating first time students are required to identify a program of study (major), complete an orientation, take assessment tests to determine appropriate course placement, and meet with a counselor to develop an education plan. These are the mandated Student Success and Support Program components (Orientation, Assessment, & Education Planning/Counseling). However, you may be exempt from assessment if you have completed it at another accredited institution. Fill out the “Release of Enrollment Hold-Exemption from Assessment” form.
*ATTACH ALL DOCUMENTS: failure to do so may result in a delay of processing your paperwork.
In addition, you may request exemption from ALL the Student Success and Support program requirements because:
1.You have already earned an Associate’s degree (AA/AS) or higher from an accredited college or university.
2. You are or will be a student at a non-Peralta Community College and are taking a course to satisfy a course requirement at your primary college (i.e., taking an intersession class).
3. Your educational goals do not include: transferring to a college/university from a Peralta Community College, attainment of a certificate or degree from a Peralta Community College, or career development.
4. You are enrolling in courses that are mandated for employment or in response to a significant change in industry or licensure standards
Complete the Exemption from All Student Success & Support Program Services Form if you DO NOT intend to participate in Orientation, Assessment, and Education Planning/Counseling. Although your chances for success in college are greater if you participate in all of the Student Success and Support Services (SSSP) components (Orientation, Assessment, & Education Planning/Counseling), you may be exempt from any or all of these services if you meet the criteria listed below. If you are exempted from these services, you may still participate at a later date.
Reminder: if you opt out of these services, you will NOT obtain priority registration for the following term.
- Fill out the “Release of Enrollment Hold-Exemption from Assessment or Release of Enrollment Hold- Exemption from all Student Success & Support Program Services” form and drop it off in the Laney College Counseling Department T-301. Forms CAN be faxed (510)986-6927. Do not email forms.
- You must attach proof documentation.
- Your request will not be reviewed if documentation are not attached and/or if the form is incomplete.
- Please allow a minimum of 1-2 working days for processing time.
- You will only be contacted if your request is denied. An email notification will be sent to you.
Other Student Services and Programs at Laney College
- Laney College Transfer Center Services
- Asi Se Puede Learning Communites
- Career Counseling Resources
- Employment Services Center
- Extended Opportunity Program and Services (EOPS), CARE & b2b (CalWORKs)
- Disabled Students Programs & Services (DSPS)
- Gateway to College @ Laney
- The Umoja-UBAKA Student Success Community
- Laney College’s Tutoring Programs
- Student Health Center
- Associated Students of Laney College (ASLC)
- Laney College Library