Welcome to the Laney College Counseling Department
3rd Floor of the Tower Building
900 Fallon Street, Oakland, CA 94607
510-464-3152 or 3154
Summer 2017 Counseling Department Schedule
Friday 8:00AM-12 Noon (Front office staff only, NO counselors on duty)
Fall 2017 Counseling Department Schedule
Counseling department schedule is subject to change,
please call 510-464-3152 or 3154 for the latest updated schedule.
Please see 2 options to see a counselor: Appointment or Drop in
Steps for Student Success
- Apply For Admission Online
Log into CCCApply Online Application Choose Laney College
Check email for 8-digit Student ID # – 10XXXXXX
For additional help and information visit our Welcome Center in A-101
- Complete Mandatory Online Orientation
Log into Online Orientation (Print/Save – Certificate of Completion)
Submit to Assessment Center prior to taking the assessment test.
- Bring Your Transcript
High school, College Graduates or completed college level Math/English– Please bring an unofficial transcript (within last 10 years apply to high school transcript) to the Laney College Counseling office in the Laney Tower building on the 3rd floor to see a counselor.
- Complete Assessment
*If you do not have an unofficial transcript or have not completed a Math/English in college
Schedule Assessment Test :( English, Math, ESL Placement) Online
By phone: (510) 464-3259 or Email: email@example.com
In person: Welcome Center in A101
- See a Counselor
Complete your Educational Plan by seeing a counselor at the Counseling Center. You can schedule an appointment by calling 510-464-3152, or going online at www.LaneyCounseling. You can also drop-in during office hours.
- Enroll in Classes
- Pay Your Fees
Don’t forget to pay your fees online or in person at the Bursar’s Office, Building A, Room A-201
- Get Your Student Identification Card
Bring a valid picture ID and your current class schedule as proof of enrollment to Welcome Center in A-101
(Before your online registration date, please check to see if your class has a prerequisite. Prerequisites must be cleared prior to enrollment. Plan ahead and take care of this as early as possible to avoid waiting in a long line and possible delays to your enrollment in important classes.
Please read the “Pre-requisite Clearance Process information” before submitting the form.
Laney College Student Success & Support Services Exemption Process
(ENROLLMENT HOLD ) – 2 types of Exemptions see below
By State regulation, all matriculating first time students are required to identify a program of study (major), complete an orientation, take assessment tests to determine appropriate course placement, and meet with a counselor to develop an education plan. These are the mandated Student Success and Support Program components (Orientation, Assessment, & Education Planning/Counseling). However, you may be exempt from assessment if you have completed it at another accredited institution. Fill out the “Release of Enrollment Hold-Exemption from Assessment” form.
*ATTACH ALL DOCUMENTS: failure to do so may result in a delay of processing your paperwork.
In addition, you may request exemption from ALL the Student Success and Support program requirements because:
1.You have already earned an Associate’s degree (AA/AS) or higher from an accredited college or university.
2. You are or will be a student at a non-Peralta Community College and are taking a course to satisfy a course requirement at your primary college (i.e., taking an intersession class).
3. Your educational goals do not include: transferring to a college/university from a Peralta Community College, attainment of a certificate or degree from a Peralta Community College, or career development.
4. You are enrolling in courses that are mandated for employment or in response to a significant change in industry or licensure standards
Complete the Exemption from All Student Success & Support Program Services Form if you DO NOT intend to participate in Orientation, Assessment, and Education Planning/Counseling. Although your chances for success in college are greater if you participate in all of the Student Success and Support Services (SSSP) components (Orientation, Assessment, & Education Planning/Counseling), you may be exempt from any or all of these services if you meet the criteria listed below. If you are exempted from these services, you may still participate at a later date.
Reminder: if you opt out of these services, you will NOT obtain priority registration for the following term.
- Fill out the “Release of Enrollment Hold-Exemption from Assessment or Release of Enrollment Hold- Exemption from all Student Success & Support Program Services” form and drop it off in the Laney College Counseling Department T-301. Forms CAN be faxed (510)986-6927. Do not email forms.
- You must attach proof documentation.
- Your request will not be reviewed if documentation are not attached and/or if the form is incomplete.
- Please allow a minimum of 1-2 working days for processing time.
- You will only be contacted if your request is denied. An email notification will be sent to you.
Other Student Services and Programs at Laney College
- Laney College Transfer Center Services
- Employment Services Center
- Extended Opportunity Program and Services (EOPS), CARE & b2b (CalWORKs)
- Disabled Students Programs & Services (DSPS)
- Gateway to College @ Laney
- The Umoja-UBAKA Student Success Community
- Laney College’s Tutoring Programs
- Student Health Center
- Associated Students of Laney College (ASLC)
- Laney College Library